Full Syllabus & Reference Books
SOCIOLOGY PAPER I
- Introduction to types of Society in India : Tribal, Agrarian and Industrial.
- Village Communities : Characteristics, Types, Tribal and Agrarian.
- Caste : Meaning of Caste, Traditional features of caste. Theories of the origin of caste, changes in caste, caste and class castism.
- Major Religions in India : Hinduism, Islam, Jainism, Buddhism Christianity, Neo -Vaishnavism in Assam.
- Rural Power Structure : Traditional and present Panchayat system, Tribal Village Council, Democratic Political system and changing power structure.
- Urbanisation in India : Features, Urbanism, a way of life Rural Development and reconstruction programmes.
- Tribes of India : General ethnic and population survey — Tribal communities in Assam and their Socio – Cultural life problems of tribal development, development schemes, Constitutional provisions, Tribal identity and movement.
SOCIOLOGY PAPER II
- Background of the Development of Sociological thought. A brief outline.
- Comte : Law of three stages positive and hirarchy of Science.
- Herbert Spencer : Concept of Social Evolution and Organisism.
- Emila Durkheim : Social Facts, Social Solidarity Mechanical and Organic, Theory of Religion.
- Karl Marx : Materialistic Interpretation of History, Class and Class Conflicts, Alienation.
- Max Weber : Social Action and Ideal Type, Types of Authority, Religion and Economy.
- Merten : Functionalism, Manifest and latest function.
- Persons : Theory of action, Social system and pattern variable.
- Sociology- Themes and Perspectives by Haralambos and Heald
- Sociology by T.B Bottomore
- Sociological Thought by Abraham and Morgan
- Methodology and Techniques of Social Research by Jaspal Singh
- Caste in Modern India and other essays by M.N Srinivas
- Social Change in Modern India by M.N Srinivas
- Social Stratification by Dipankar Gupta
- IGNOU/NIOS/Internet – for clarification