Full Syllabus & Reference Books
POLITICAL SCIENCE PAPER – I
Unit I :
- (a) Nature and Scope of Political Science, Its relationship with other social science. Approaches to the study of Political Science.
- (b) Origin of the State – Functions of the State, Laissez Faire and Socialistic Theories, Concept of welfare state.
- (c) Forms of Government – Democracy, Dictatorship, Presidential and Parliamentary Forms – Unitary and Federal Forms.
- (d) Organs of Government – Legislature, Executive and Judiciary – Separation of powers.
- (e) Sovereignty – Monistic and pluralistic, Analysis of Sovereignty.
(f) Justice – Liberty – Equality, Power Authority Law.
Unit II :
- Political Philosophy of Plato – Aristotle, Gandhi, Marx.
- A History Of Political Thought: Plato To Marx – Mukherjee and Susheela Ramaswamy
- Introduction to Political Theory – O P Gauba
- Politial Theory – Rajeev Bhargava
- Internet/Wikipedia – for concept clarification/ further details
POLITICAL SCIENCE PAPER – II
Unit I :
- (a) Constitution of India : Framing of the constitution of India — Fundamental Rights and Duties- Directive Principles of the State Policy, Citizenship.
- (b)Union Government, Legislature, Executive, Judicial.
- (c) State Government, Legislature, Executive, Judiciary.
- (d) Centre-State Relations.
- (e) Value of Local Government in a Democracy, Local Self Government in Assam.
- (f) Bureaucracy and role of the Civil Service in India.
Unit II :
- Constitutions of the U.S.A. the U.K.
Unit III :
- United Nations – Objective and Principles, Organs Specialised Agencies – ILO, UNESCO, IMF.
- Indian Polity by Laxmikant – for basic coverage
- Our Constitution – Subhash Kashyap
- Politics in India – Rajni Kothari
- ikipedia.org -for International Organisations