Current Affairs Assam – April 2018
( Covers all important Assam Current Affairs & GK topics for the month of April 2018 )
President of India Receives first copy of book ‘Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar: Vyakti Nahin Sankalp’
President of India Ram Nath Kovind on 15 April 2018 received the first copy of the book ‘Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar: Vyakti Nahin Sankalp’ from Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu, who formally released it at a function at Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi.
Lok Sabha Speaker Smt Sumitra Mahajan, Union Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment, Shri Thaawar Chand Gehlot, and the editor of the book, Shri Kishor Makwana attended the function.
Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar: Vyakti Nahin Sankalp
The President said the book that he had been presented was a slim volume but covered the inspiring life of Dr Ambedkar and several dimensions of his ideas and personality. It also referenced how Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi had been inspired by the life and message of Dr Ambedkar. The President called the book an accessible resource to understand Dr Ambedkar.
Saina Nehwal wins gold in badminton singles
Saina Nehwal claimed gold in an all-Indian final of women’s singles in badminton. She defeated. PV Sindhu in the first-ever all-Indian women’s singles final at the Commonwealth Games.
With this, Nehwal claimed her second Commonwealth Games singles gold medal after having won it at the 2010 Delhi Games. With Saina’s win, India’s medal tally has risen to 66 including 26 gold, 20 silver and 20 bronze medals.
Government of India raises NABARD capital to Rs 300 Billion
The government has raised the authorised capital of NABARD (National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development) by 6 times to Rs 300 billion to help it increase its lending to the rural economy.
- A notification regarding this was released by the Finance Ministry on 10th April 2018. A bill in this regard was approved by Parliament at the start of this year.
- The increase in authorized capital will enable Nabard to respond to commitments it has undertaken particularly in respect of the Long Term Irrigation Fund and on-lending to cooperative banks.
- Also, it will help NABARD to expand its business and activities, resulting in promotion of integrated rural development, prosperity of rural areas and generation of more employment.
FACTFILE – NABARD
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) was set up in 1982.
- It is an apex development financial institution in India, headquartered at Mumbai with branches all over India.
- Its aim to promote sustainable and equitable agriculture and rural development through participative financial and non-financial interventions, innovations, technology and institutional development for securing prosperity.
- It provides training facilities to the institutions working in the field of rural upliftment.
- It is the most important institution in the country which looks after the development of the cottage industry, small scale industry and village industry, and other rural industries.
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Launched In Telangana
Union Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister, Dharmendra Pradhan launched Pradhan Mantri Ujwala Yojana (PMUY) in Telangana on the birth anniversary of Dr. B.R. Ambedkar, at Suryapetby. PMUY LPG connections were distributed to the BPL Women beneficiaries by the dignitaries on the stage.
- Its aim to provide deposit-free LPG connections with monetary assistance to below poverty line (BPL) families.
- This scheme has been transformed the lives of more than 3.57 crore households spanning across the length and breadth of the country.
- Mr. Pradhan stated that by the next year-end, over 20 lakh new gas connections will be provided in Telangana. He also added that beneficiaries of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Housing for the rural poor) and Antyodaya Anna Yojana (food scheme) will also be covered under the PMUY.
Indian mosquitoes can transmit Zika virus infection: NIV study
A team of scientists from Pune at the National Institute of Virology (NIV) has recently discovered that Indian mosquito, when contaminated with the Zika Virus (ZIKV), can transmit the infection to suckling mice.
(i) This study was conducted by scientists from the NIV, the National Jalma Institute of leprosy and other Mycobacterial Diseases, to demonstrate how the Indian Aedes Aegypti mosquito is vulnerable to the Zika virus (ZIKV). The study also revealed that Indian mosquitoes pick up ZIKV naturally.
(ii) As part of the study, mosquitoes were experimentally infected with Zika virus (African Strain MR-766) through the oral-feeding route.
(iii) Few days after bitten by ZIKV contaminated mosquitoes the infant mice showed symptoms like trembling, isolated behaviour, signs related to the nervous system, lethargic movements etc.
(iv) The mice became stagnant during critical stages of the illness and were put to death. The scientists believe that the mosquitoes harbor the virus in their salivary glands which makes it easier to transmit.
PM Modi inaugurates Ayushman Bharat in Chhattisgarh
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the first health centre under Ayushman Bharat Scheme at Bijapur district in Chhattisgarh.
He also inaugurated the first phase of the Bastar Internet scheme under which a 40,000-km-long network of fibre optics cable would be spread across the seven districts of the tribal region- Bijapur, Narayanpur, Bastar, Kanker, Kondagaon, Sukma and Dantewada.
FACTFILE – Ayushman Bharat Scheme
(i) This scheme aims to provide medical insurance worth Rs 5 lakh per family per year for secondary and tertiary care hospitalisation to 10 crore poor and vulnerable families in the country.
(ii) Under the Ayushman Bharat Scheme, the government will open 1.5 lakh health and wellness centres by 2022, which will be equipped to provide medical treatment for diseases and old age illnesses.
(iiii) This scheme will also cover all pre-existing conditions from beginning of policy. It will also pay defined transport allowance per hospitalization to beneficiary.
Assam turns festive for Rongali Bihu
The people of Assam celebrates Rongali Bihu to mark the beginning of the Assamese New Year. It is a week-long festival, the celebration continues for the whole of the month.
People organising different cultural programmes and functions in different parts of the state.
The first day of the week-long festival was celebrated as Goru Bihu (Cattle Bihu) across the state. The second day of the festival, which falls on the first day of the new Assamese Calendar month of Bohag is known as Manuh Bihu (Human Bihu). People take bath and wear new clothes on this day and sing and dance to enjoy.
During this festival younger people visit elder family and seek their blessings. Elders bless the younger ones for good health and prosperity and give Bihuwan –the traditional Assamese towel known as Gamocha.
China to launch new weather satellite Fengyun-II 09
China will launch Fengyun-II 09 satellite, a new meteorological satellite, this year to further boost its weather forecasting capabilities, China authorities said on 1April 2018.
The satellite will be launched from Xichang Satellite Launch Centre in Sichuan Province of China. The Fengyun satellites are a series of remote-sensing meteorological satellites developed by China.
(i) The Fengyun-II 09 satellite is the last in the Fengyun-II series. It will collect meteorological, maritime, and hydrological data to help weather forecast in China and neighbouring regions.
(ii) Fengyun-I and Fengyun-III are polar orbiting weather satellites. Fengyun-II and Fengyun-IV function in geostationary orbit.