Assam Economy – Assam Sixth Economic Census 2013 Summary Report

Assam Economy - Assam Exam

ESTABLISHMENTS (INCLUDING AGRI AND NON-AGRI)

  • As per the results of Sixth Economic Census 2013, there were altogether 20.10 lakh establishments in the state engaged in different economic activities other than crop production, plantation, public administration, defence & compulsory social security services.
  • Out of 20.10 lakh establishments, around 14.43 lakh establishments (71.81%) were operated in the state as own account establishments and the remaining 5.67 lakh establishments (28.19%) with at least one hired worker.
  • Out of 20.10 lakh establishments, 14.41 lakh establishments (71.71%) were located in rural areas while 5.69 lakh establishments (28.29%) in urban areas.
  • Out of 20.10 lakh establishments, 2.22 lakh establishments (11.04%) were involved in agricultural activities and the remaining 17.88 lakh establishments (88.96%) in non-agricultural activities.
  • Average persons per establishment (Rate of employment) of the State were found around 1.95.
  • In rural arrears, it was found about 1.89 as against 2.10 in urban areas.
  • Out of total 20.10 lakh establishments in the state , about 1.01 lakh establishments (5.01%) were operated under the ownership of Govt./PSU , 89.77% under private proprietary, 0.31% under private partnership,0.27% under private company, 0.25 under STG, 0.10% under co-operative, 3.29% under NPI and the rest 1.00% under other ownerships.
  • Out of the total establishments, about 8.09 lakh establishments (40.27%) were operating from outside the households with fixed structure. 6.78 lakh establishments (33.73%) were operating from outside the households without fixed structure(without premises) and the rest 5.23 lakh establishments (26%) were operating inside the households/premises during Sixth Economic Census.
  • Out of the total establishments, 18.82 lakh establishments (92.2%) were operated in the state as perennial, 6.1% as seasonal and 1.7% as casual in nature.
  • Around 18.04 lakh establishments were operated in the state under the ownership of private proprietary of which 2.12 lakh establishments (11.8 %) belonged to Scheduled Caste owned, 1.79 lakh establishments (9.9%) belonged to Scheduled Tribes owned, 3.78 lakh establishments (20.9%) owned by Other Backward Classes and remaining 10.35 lakh establishments (57.4%) owned by other communities.
  • Out of total establishments, about 63.3% proprietary establishments were operated by Hindus, 32.1% by Islams, 1.9% by Christians and the remaining 2.7% by other religions.
  • About 12.63 lakh establishments were found to be operated in the size class of 1(one) person which accounted for around 62.83% of the total establishments in the state. The concentration of establishments in the size class of employment 1-5 was found about 96.77% to the total establishments in the State/
  • The maximum numbers of establishments were located in the districts of Kamrup (Metropolitan) (10.05%), Nagaon (9.59%), Barpeta (8.48%) and Cachar (6.76%).
  • The maximum numbers of rural establishments were found to be located in the districts of Nagaon (10.04%), Barpeta (9.78%), Cachar (7.45%) and Kamrup (5.41%). These four districts together accounted for almost 1/3rd of the total establishments located in rural areas of the state.
  • Kamrup (Metropolitan) district alone accounted for nearly 1/3rd of the total urban establishments in the state, followed by Nagaon district (8.44%) and Barpeta district (5.17%) respectively/

EMPLOYMENT IN ALL ESTABLISHMENTS

  • About 39.19 lakh persons were usually working in all establishments in the state except crop production, plantation, public administration, defence & compulsory social security services.
  • Out of the 39.19 lakh persons, about 27.23 lakh (69.48%) were usually working in rural areas and the rest 11.96 lakh (30.52%) in urban areas.
  • Out of the total employment, 35.40 lakh (90.33%) were employed in non-agricultural activities and the remaining 3.80 lakh (9.67%) were employed in agricultural activities.
  • There were around 22.29 lakh (56.87%) persons usually working in the establishments run by without involving any hired workers i.e own account establishments in the state and the rest 16.90 lakh (43.13%) persons were working in the establishments engaging with at least one hired worker.
  • Around 29.65 lakh persons were usually working in proprietary establishments in the state of which 3.19 lakh (10.7 %) persons belonging to Scheduled Caste, 2.71 lakh (9.1%) persons belonging to Scheduled Tribes, 6.01 lakh persons (20.3%) pertaining to Other Backward Classes and remaining 17.75 lakh persons (59.8%) pertaining to other communities.
  • Around 39.19 lakh persons were usually working in both agricultural and non-agricultural establishments located in the State of which 13.11 lakh persons (33.4%) were found to be as male hired, 3.79 lakh persons (9.7%) as female hired ,18.76 lakh persons (47.9%) as male nonhired and the remaining 3.92 lakh persons (10.4) as female non-hired.
  • Nearly 27.23 lakh persons were usually employed in establishments located in rural areas of the State of which 8.29 lakh persons (30.4%) were found as male hired, 2.85 lakh persons (10.5%) as female hired, 13.27 lakh persons (48.7%) as male non-hired and the remaining 2.82 lakh persons(10.45%) as female non-hired.
  • Almost 11.96 lakh persons were usually employed in both agricultural and non-agricultural establishments located in urban areas of which 4.82 lakh persons (40.3%) were employed as male hired, 0.94 lakh persons (7.9%) as female hired, 5.49 lakh persons (45.9%) as male nonhired and the remaining 0.70 lakh persons (5.9) as female non-hired.
  • Kamrup (Metropolitan) district had alone contributed around 11.42% of total employment in the state, followed by Nagaon district (9.28%), Barpeta (7.84%) and Cachar (5.11%) respectively.

AGRICULTURAL ESTABLISHMENTS

  • About 92.92% of total agricultural establishments in the State were located in rural areas and the rest 7.08 % in urban areas.
  • Out of the total agricultural establishments, about 93.07% agricultural establishments were operated in the state as own account establishments and the rest 6.93% agricultural establishments were operated with at least one hired worker.
  • Out of total 2.22 lakh agricultural establishments in the state, 2.19 lakh establishments (98.78%) were operated under the ownership of private roprietary and the rest 1.22% was under other ownerships. The highest numbers of agricultural establishments under the ownership of proprietary were found in livestock activity (57.13%).
  • There were around 1.82 lakh agricultural establishments operated in the state as perennial establishments which constituted about 82.05% of total agricultural establishments.
  • Out of the total agricultural establishment in the state, about 56.9% establishments were owned by Hindu, followed by Islam (36.9%) and Christian (3.2%). The percentage share of ownership of other religion was found very low.
  • Out of total agricultural proprietary establishments in the state, about 10.7% was owned by Scheduled Casts Community (SC), 17.9% operated by Scheduled Tribes Community (ST) and remaining 20.6% run by Other Backward Classes Community (OBC).
  • Out of total agricultural establishment, about 82.93% establishments owned by male proprietors and the remaining 17.07% run by female proprietors.
  • Barpeta district had the maximum number of agricultural establishments (0.47lakh) constituting about 21.39% of total agricultural establishments in the state.

EMPLOYMENT IN AGRICULTURAL ESTABLISHMENTS

    • About 3.79 lakh persons were usually working in agricultural establishments in the State which contributed around 9.68% of total workers engaged in all economic activities except crop production and plantation, public Administration, defence and Compulsory Social Security Services activities.
    • About 3.53 lakh (93%) persons were reported to be working in agricultural establishments located in rural areas as against 0.27 lakh (7%) in urban areas.
    • Out of total employment in agricultural establishments, about 2.93 lakh persons (77.24%) were usually working in own account establishments and the remaining 086 lakh persons (22.76%) in establishments with at least one hired worker.
    • Out of the total employment in agricultural establishments, 3.56 lakh persons (93.73%) were engaged in establishments owned by private proprietary.
    • About 0 .32 lakh (9.1%) were employed in agricultural establishments owned by Scheduled Caste Community (SC), 0.62 lakh (17.4%) owned by Scheduled Tribes Community (ST) and 0.80 lakh (22.8%) owned by Other Backward Classes Community (OBC).
    • The proportion of employment in agricultural establishments owned by Self Help Group was found about 3.94%. The maximum number of employment under the ownership of proprietary establishments was found in livestock activity with a share of 56.66%.
    • About 0.86 lakh persons employed in agricultural establishments with atleast one hired worker in the state of which around 0.78 lakh persons (89.97%) worked under the ownership of proprietary establishments.
    • Barpeta district had provided maximum number of employment among the districts in terms of agricultural establishments with a share of 22.05%, followed by Nagaon district (11.35%) and Tinsukia district (10.95%).
    • In rural areas, the three districts viz. Barpeta (21.34%) , Nagaon (11.40%) and Tinsukia (11.40%) each have provided for more than 11% of the total employments.
    • In urban areas, the Barpeta district alone accounted for almost one-third of the total employment in agricultural establishments, followed by Kamrup (Metro) district (15.66%) and Nagaon district (10.80%).

NON-AGRICULTURAL ESTABLISHMENTS

        • About 17.88 lakh establishments involved in non-agricultural activities in the State other than public administration, defence & compulsory social security services of which 12.35 lakh establishments (69.08%) were located in rural areas as against 5.53 lakh establishments (30.92%) in urban areas.
        • Out of the total 17.88 lakh non-agricultural establishments of the State, around 12.46 lakh (69.71%) establishments were operated in the State without employing hired workers as against 5.42 lakh (30.29%) establishments operated with engaging at least one hired worker.
        • Out of the total non-agricultural establishments in the State, about 7.95 lakh establishments (44.44%) were operated from outside the household with fixed structure, 6.16 lakh (34.43%) operating from outside the household without fixed structure/without premise and the rest 3.78 lakh (21.13%) were operating inside the households.
        • Out of total 17.88 lakh non-agricultural establishments in the state , 1.00 lakh non-agricultural establishments (5.60%) were operated under the ownership of Govt./PSU , 88.65% was under private proprietary, 0.34% was under private partnership,0.29% was under private company, 0.20% was under STG, 0.11% was under co-operative, 3.69% was under NPI and 1.12% falls under others.
        • Around 15.85 lakh non-agricultural establishments were operated in the state under the ownership of private proprietary of which 1.89 lakh non-agricultural establishments (11.9 %) belonged to Scheduled Caste owned, 1.40 lakh non-agricultural establishments (8.8%) belonged to Scheduled Tribes owned, 3.33 lakh non-agricultural establishments (21.0%) owned by Other Backward Classes and remaining 9.23 lakh non-agricultural establishments (58.3%) owned by other communities.
        • About 16.70 lakh non-agricultural establishments were operated in the state as perennial in nature which constituted about 93.4% of the total non-agricultural establishments. Out of the total non-agricultural establishments, merely 5.1% establishments were found to be operated as seasonal establishments and 1.5% as casual establishments in nature.
        • There were 11.37 lakh non-agricultural establishments operated in the size class of 1(one) person, which accounted for around 63.59% of the total non-agricultural establishments.
        • The concentration of establishments in the size class of employment 1-5 was found about 96.59% to the total non-agricultural establishments in the State. The percentage share of establishments gradually declined with the increase in the size class of employment.
        • Kamrup (Metropolitan) district had provided maximum number of non-agricultural establishments (1.98 lakh) constituting about 11.05% of total non-agricultural establishments in the state. It was followed by Nagaon district (9.24%) and Cachar district (7.15%) respectively.
        • In rural areas, the maximum numbers of non-agricultural establishments were found in the districts of Nagaon (9.64%), Cachar (8.05%) and Barpeta 7.96%).
        • In urban areas, maximum numbers of non- agricultural establishments were found in Kamrup (Metropolitan) district with a share of 33.70%, followed by Nagaon district (8.36%) and Cachar district (5.13%) respectively.
        • Kamrup (Metropolitan) district accounted for nearly 10.00 % of total own account non-agricultural establishments which was highest among the districts and it was followed by Nagaon district (8.47%).
        • As regard to concentration of non-agricultural establishments with atleast one hired worker, Kamrup (Metropolitan) district with its share of 13.46% was found highest among the districts, followed by Nagaon district (11.02%) and Barpeta district (6.58%) respectively.
        • Retail trade, manufacturing, other personal service and transportation and storage were the four most important activity groups in terms of number of establishments in the non-agricultural sector. These four activity groups together shared more than 70% of the total non-agricultural establishments operating in the state.
        • Retail trade activity group contributed about 40.79% of total non-agricultural establishments which was found to be the highest among all major activity groups in the State.
        • The maximum number of non-agricultural own account establishments was found in retail trade activity with a share of 48.38%. , followed by manufacturing activity (11.06%) and transport and storage activity (10.69%).
        • The maximum number of non-agricultural establishments under the ownership of Govt./PSU in the state were found in education sector (7.29% ), followed by human health & social work sector (4.96%) and other personal service sector (4.13%) respectively.
        • The highest proportion of establishments in the size class of 1(one) person was found in retail trade activity group (47.66%), followed by transportation and storage activity group (11.55%) and other service activities not elsewhere classified (9.82%).
        • The highest proportion of non-agricultural own account establishments in the size class of 1 (one) person was found in retail trade activity (44.98%), followed by Transportation and storage activity (11.86%) and manufacturing activity (9.24%) respectively

EMPLOYMENT IN NON-AGRICULTURAL ESTABLISHMENTS

        • Around 35.40 lakh persons were usually working in non-agricultural establishments in the State which contributed about 90.32% of total workers engaged in all economic activities except crop production and plantation, public Administration, defence and Compulsory Social Security Services activities.
        • About 23.71 lakh (66.96%) were reported to be working in non-agricultural establishments located in rural areas against 11.69 lakh (33.04%) in urban areas.
        • Out of total employment, about 14.49 lakh persons (36.97%) were usually working as being nonhired workers in non-agricultural establishments and 20.91 lakh persons (53.35%) with engaging at least one hired worker.
        • There were around 26.10 lakh persons usually working in non-agricultural private proprietary establishments in the state of which 2.86 lakh (11 %) persons belonging to Scheduled Caste, 2.09 lakh (8%) persons belonging to Scheduled Tribes, 5.20 lakh persons (19.9%) pertaining to Other Backward Classes and remaining 15.94 lakh persons (61.1%) pertaining to other communities.
        • Nearly 23.71 lakh persons were usually working in non-agricultural establishments located in rural areas of the State of which 7.93 lakh (33.4%) were found as male hired, 2.71 lakh (11.4%) as female hired, 11.26 lakh (47.5%) as male non-hired and the remaining 1.81 lakh (7.6) as female non-hired.
        • As regard to employment in the establishments run by without hired workers , the highest share of employment to total employment among all districts was observed in Kamrup (Metropolitan) district (9.54%) , followed by Nagaon district (8.47%) and Cachar district(8.15%) respectively.
        • As far as district wise concentration of employment engaged in the establishments with at least one hired worker are concerned, Kamrup (Metropolitan) district with its share of 14.37% of total employment was found to be highest among the districts and it was followed by Nagaon district (9.47%).

HANDICRAFT/ HANDLOOM ESTABLISHMENTS

        • About 0.91 lakh establishments were operated in the state as Handicraft / Handloom establishments which constituted merely 4.52 % of total establishments in the state.
        • There were 90767 numbers of handloom / handicraft establishments in the state of which 71.37% run by without hired workers i.e own account establishments and the rest 28.63% with at least one hired worker.
        • There were about 1.89 lakh persons engaged in handloom / handicraft establishments in the state of which 1.38 lakh (73.2%) persons employed in rural areas and the rest 0.51 lakh (26.8%) in urban areas.
        • The maximum number of Handloom/Handicraft establishments was found to be located in the districts Barpeta (14.03%), Nagaon (10.30%) and Kamrup (10.04%).

WOMEN ENTREPRENEURS

        • 1.51 lakh establishments were operated in the State under the ownership of women entrepreneurs which constituted about 7.52% of total establishments. Out of the total establishments owned by females, around 1.08 lakh establishments (71.48%) were located in rural areas as against 0.43 lakh (28.52%) in urban areas.
        • About 1.16 lakh (76.89%) establishments were found to be operated under the women entrepreneurs in the state as being non-agricultural activities and remaining 23.11% as agricultural activities.
        • The maximum number of establishments run by women entrepreneurs were found in manufacturing activity group (30%) , followed by retail trade activity group (21.89%) and livestock activity group (19.91%).
        • The maximum number of establishments operated by the female entrepreneurs in the state was found in Barpeta district with a share of 21.13%.
        • There were about 2.48 lakh persons usually working in the establishments owned by female entrepreneurs in the state of which 1.01 lakh (40.95%) establishments engaged in the size class of employment of 1(one) person.
        • Out of 1.51 lakh establishments under women entrepreneurs of the State, 10.83% belonging to S.C community, 16.29% belonging to S.T community, 22.23% belonging to O.B.C community and rest of 50.65% belonging to other community.

ESTABLISMENTS WITH 10 OR MORE WORKERS

        • There were around 0.24 lakh establishments operating in the state with 8 or more persons who contributed about 1.19 % of total establishments.
        • There were around 6.64 lakh persons employed in the establishments having 8 or more workers in the state, which accounted for about 16.94 % of total employment.
        • The activity group “education’ had shared the highest proportion to the establishments having 8 or more workers in the state among all major activity groups (49.38%) and it was followed by manufacturing activity group (16.63%).
        • There were around 6.64 lakh persons employed in the establishments having 8 or more workers in the state, which accounted for about 16.94 % of total employment.

ANNUAL GROWTH RATE

        • The growth rate of establishments has sharply increased from 5.90% during 1998-2005 to 9.45% during 2005-2013.
        • During the period 2005-2013, the overall annual growth rate of agricultural establishments in the State was found about 22.96%.
        • Annual compounded growth rate of non-agricultural establishments during the period 2005-2013 was about8.46%.
        • The growth rate of own account establishments in the state has increased sharply from 6.95% during 1998-2005 to 10.75% during 2005-2013.
        • During the period 2005-2013, the highest ACGR of establishment was found in Dima Hasau district about 14.51%, followed by Barpeta district (14.05%), Karbi Anglong (13.65%) and Jorhat district (13.64%). During the same period, the lowest ACGR of 5.72% was found in Goalpara district.
        • During the period 2005-2013, the growth rate of employment in the state was found to be highest in Barpeta district with a share of 13.7%, followed by Karimganj district (13.1%) and Kamrup (Metropolitan) district (10.5%).

APSC Mains Test Series 2017 GS - Assam Exam

Assam-Exam-sociology-test-series - Assam Exam

APSC Mains test series History optional - assamexam

APSC Mains polity test series - Assamexam